Tuesday, April 19, 2016

mixed media butterflies

I included a mixed media project in the "Creatures Big and Small" camp because I knew the kids would enjoy a project where the materials were constantly changing.

I also knew I had gained the trust of the kids so they wouldn't panic when we were in that stage of things just looking like a hot mess.

10 year old

I always love the layers of interest that develops in this style of work. I think it always belies the age of the kids who created the art because of the complexity too.

Each piece was started with the kids applying two pieces of scrapbook paper to the acrylic paper and then painting white and cream on the paper. From there they used a water-soluble pencil to draw in their butterfly.

6 year old

And then they added color with chalk pastel and watercolor.

5 year old

They then went back in with white acrylic paint and toned down the color.

9 year old

They then used charcoal and black oil pastel to add any other detail they wanted to their butterfly.

4 year old

They could also go back in with some color if they were unhappy with all the white.

7 year old

I think they each got a unique and very interesting layered artwork. I think they had fun working with almost every art supply in the studio too! I always love watching the kids create a mixed media piece. I find this art form is a great way to really let them explore process and not get caught up in what things will look like in the end......because none of us know what will happen by the end.

5 year old

But as you can see, the end is spectacular.









No comments:

Post a Comment