Monday, April 18, 2016

Miro inspired watercolors

One of the artist I showed the children in the "Studying Under the Masters" class was Joan Miro. I have always enjoyed his work but fell in love last fall while visiting his museum in Barcelona. I have been wanting to do a project inspired by him ever since in the studio.

Along with this automatic drawing exercise inspired by his work, the kids also worked on a paper sculpture which I unfortunately did not get pictures of to share.

When I was the age of the kids, I use to love drawing this way. Whenever I was bored or had a new box of 64 crayons and needed to use every color, I would create a scribble and begin to color in the shapes until I found the creature hidden within.

11 year old

anteater, 8 year old

This project was done with permanent marker and liquid watercolor. The kids first created a "scribble". I did stress to keep it loose and the loops large so their shapes in the end did not become to small and overwhelming to color.

8 year old

fish and duck, 10 year old

Once they had created a scribble, they began to randomly fill in shapes with color. I suggested they make sure the same color never butted up next to each other in the beginning and that they continue to turn their paper around after they filled in a color until they began to see something hidden within the picture to share.



"tasha", 7 year old

For some kids, the vision on the paper came quickly and for others it took some time.


Once they had created something, I handed out the permanent black markers one more time so they could thicken lines they wanted to highlight or add features to their animals to bring them to life.

7 year old

I was quite impressed with the imaginative creatures brought forth by the kids and hope they had as much fun trying their hand at automatic drawing as I did all those years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment