Tuesday, April 26, 2016

blind contour self portraits

In March I had the honor of being asked to work with Seymour Art Gallery in Deep Cove on an outreach program they were running with Hollyburn Family Services. Together we created a project we thought the group would find engaging, blind contour self portraits.

A group of young adults showed up at the gallery where the curator gave them a guided tour, then we all sat down in front of some two sided mirrors I had brought and had some fun.


We started by just experimenting with the process using a pencil in hopes of getting everyone comfortable, but what I discovered was there was no need. There were some amazing sketches that were just stunning!


I was so excited by some of the pencil sketches, but even more excited at how quickly everyone embraced this technique and were having fun! One young man, who likes to draw comics, was so taken with his creations that he mentioned he might use this form of drawing in his new works.



I couldn't ask for much more than that kind of endorsement!


Here's a few more of their "practice" sketches which turned out to be lovely finished works in themselves. Supplies for this are so simple, a paper plate with a hole in the middle to stick the drawing tool of your choice through and a mirror. The only instruction I give them is to not lift up their pencil while drawing.



The first ones they did in pencil and then we started working with a permanent marker.



Aren't they fascinating? 

I then gave each of them a water-soluble pencil and a piece of watercolor paper. Once again they did a self portrait drawing using the paper plate with the pencil stuck through it (so they couldn't cheat and look) and studied their reflection in the mirror.


I then put out some liquid watercolors so they could fill in some of the shapes within the image they created.




I love how each persons unique personality is conveyed on the paper. And it was wonderful to be part of the camaraderie in the room. It was a very special group of young people to get to share some time with .



I was completely taken with this particular work where they artist added some words. How poetic, "this is me. in life. with love."




I would love to see some of these compositions explored in larger works. There was lots of laughter and talking while artists created their works and the time went very quickly. 


Some artists completed more than one work they enjoyed it so much and before we knew it, time was up! And no one was really ready to leave. Thanks to the supportive curator at the gallery, they didn't have too and everyone ended up staying another half hour after we were suppose to be finished.


There were some gifted young people in this group. Artists who I hope continue to pursue their obvious talents. It was a truly enjoyable couple of hours spent at the gallery and I hope to have the opportunity to work with them again in the future.


We had covered the tables in butcher paper to protect them from paint and one artist left this "doodle" behind. I asked her if she wanted it and she shrugged but I was so taken with it, I asked if it was OK if I kept it and she agreed. 

It now hangs in my studio on the wall. A lovely keepsake for me to remember some remarkable young adults I was lucky enough to work with for an afternoon.
























No comments:

Post a Comment