Tuesday, April 5, 2016

bird pastel drawings

As the "Birds of a Feather" camp came to an end, I found we were left with more time than I expected. What to do that would not need time to dry as there was not enough time before pick up.

That morning we had completed these paper-mache 'egg' sculptures with a watercolor diorama inside.


The kids had worked so hard figuring out how to build the inside of these eggs, then create all the components and paint them, that I just wanted to give them something they could relax as the week came to an end.

So I brought out some black pastel paper, which always peaks everyone's attention, and the chalk pastels. I told them they could draw anything they wanted and gave a quick example on how to be successful with the medium. 

8 year old

7 year old

7 year old

I was quite pleased to see the above artist utilize the line lessons we had done in this bird. It is always so rewarding to see kids apply a skill on their own in another project that was focused on in a pervious one.

6 year old

This penguin is swimming fast under water. Do you see the water bubbles coming off his back? I love the way this little artist used line to create the water to convey speed, along with "blurring" the edges of the bird. 

9 year old

5 year old

9 year old

7 year old

6 year old

8 year old

6 year old

I love the pattern in this work along with the black and white color palette. Every choice the artist made in this work is "just right". I was so excited to watch her develop this piece. I just love the composition.

6 year old

I'd say the kids ended the week on a high note, these works are so wonderful. This project ended literally at the same time the first parent arrived for pick up. Birds were a wonderful focus for a variety of fun projects that made the week "fly" by. (sorry, couldn't resist)





















No comments:

Post a Comment